The Heap Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFDC MC) source automatically captures all of your email journey touchpoints as events in Heap. By integrating SFDC MC with Heap, you’ll be able to answer:
- How effective are different campaigns at driving conversions?
- How many email touches does it take to re-active cart abandonment?
- Does engagement in a journey improve retention over time?
Email Required in Heap
Before we can ingest event data from SFDC MC into Heap, you’ll need to have email addresses attached to your users in Heap (either as an identity or a user property). Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re unsure if you have the required data in Heap for this source.
To connect the SFDC MC source, you’ll need to provide your Heap account team with the following:
- The Heap environment you’d like to load event data into.
- Your SFDC MC subdomain. Your subdomain can be found in the URL you use to login to SFDC MC. For example, if when you are logged in the URL is
mc.s7.exacttarget.com, then the subdomain is
- The Client ID and Client Secret for a Heap package component. Please see below for details on how to generate these pieces of metadata.
To generate a Client ID and Client Secret, you’ll need to perform the following steps in SFDC MC:
- Login to SFDC MC as a user with permission to administer installed packages.
- Click on your account name on the top right, and then
Administrationis not available, you’ll need to login as a user with administration permissions.
Newto create a new package named
Perform server-to-server requests at any time with the component's scope…checked.
- Check off
Tracking Events, and
- Locate the
Client Secretassigned to the component you just created.
Now that you have your subdomain, Client ID, and Client Secret, back in Heap, navigate to Capture > Sources > Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and click Connect. Enter your information in the fields that appear and click ‘Submit’.
You may need to work with our support team to choose a join key. Reach out to email@example.com with your app ID to get started.
Once you provide this metadata, we’ll backfill data for the past week in your Heap environment as soon as possible. Please let us know if you’d like a custom backfill period beyond one week.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud events are ingested as the event types below in Heap. Please reference the linked SFDC MC documentation for each event type to see what specific properties Heap ingests and their respective descriptions.
Bounce: The message sent to a subscriber encountered a hard or soft bounce, e.g. the account does not exist.
Clicked Link: A subscriber clicked on a link within the message.
Forwarded: A subscriber forwarded the message using the Forward To A Friend feature.
Forwarded Opt In: A user subscribed from a subscriber-forwarded email via the Forward To A Friend feature.
Not Sent: A message was not sent to a subscriber.
Opened: A message was opened by a subscriber.
Sent: A message was sent to a subscriber.
Survey: A subscriber answered a survey question included in a message.
Unsubscribe: A subscriber unsubscribed from further communication via a link in a message.