The Heap Salesforce Marketing Cloud integration automatically captures all of your email journey touchpoints as events in Heap. By integrating Salesforce Marketing Cloud with Heap, you’ll be able to answer the following questions:
- How effective are different campaigns at driving conversions?
- How many email touches does it take to re-active cart abandonment?
- Does engagement in a journey improve retention over time?
Email Required in Heap
Before we can ingest event data from Salesforce Marketing Cloud into Heap, you’ll need to have email addresses attached to your users in Heap (either as an identity or a user property). Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re unsure if you have the required data in Heap for this source.
To connect the SFDC MC source, you’ll need to create a new installed package in your Marketing Cloud Account, and add an API integration component to that package. To do this, you’ll need to perform the following steps in Marketing Cloud:
1. Log in to Marketing Cloud as a user with permission to administer installed packages.
2. Click on your username on the top right, and then Setup (under SETTINGS). If Setup is not available, you’ll need to login as a user with administration permissions.
3. On the Setup page, you’ll find Apps listed under Platform Tools. Click Apps > Installed Packages.
4. Click New and create a new package named Heap.
5. Click Add Component.
6. Choose API Integration.
7. Choose the Server-to-Server integration type.
8. Check off read permissions for:
- CHANNELS > Email
- AUTOMATION > Automations
- CONTACTS > Audiences, List and Subscribers
- DATA > Data Extensions, Tracking Events
- HUB > Campaign
View Details of the Heap package by clicking on Heap under Apps > Installed Packages. From the API Integration component, you will need the following:
- Your Marketing Cloud Subdomain: This is the 28-character string starting with the letters “mc” which forms the shared prefix of the path of the Authentication Base URI, REST Base URI and SOAP Base URI. For more information, see Salesforce’s documentation on Your Subdomain and Endpoints.
- A Client Id and Client Secret
Now that you have your subdomain, Client ID, and Client Secret, back in Heap, navigate to Integrate > Sources > Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and click Connect. Enter your information in the fields that appear and click Submit.
You may need to work with our support team to choose a join key. Reach out to email@example.com with your app ID to get started.
Once you provide this metadata, we’ll backfill data for the past week in your Heap environment as soon as possible. Please let us know if you’d like a custom backfill period beyond one week.
Salesforce Marketing Cloud events are ingested as the event types below in Heap. Please reference the linked Salesforce Marketing Cloud documentation for each event type to see what specific properties Heap ingests and their respective descriptions.