The Looker Data Import Integration enables you to sync user and account properties from Looker into Heap as a one-time or recurring send. Using this integration, you can do the following:
- Sync properties from other 3rd party systems into Heap to slice key funnels, such as Salesforce user properties (ex. lifetime purchase history, income, employer)
- Sync segmentation data calculated by your data science team into Heap to enrich your analysis with a single view of your users, such as LTV segmentation
- Sync backend product flags from your product database to understand adoption, such as which users or accounts have turned on a feature or purchased a product
This process will take ~5 minutes and require Looker admin access. You’ll need to get the Action URL and Authorization Token from Heap before starting the setup. Setup steps are as follows:
- Step 1: Log into Heap and navigate to Integrate > Sources > Looker Data Import (link) and select “Set Up”. Follow the in-app prompts to enable the integration in Heap.
- Step 2: Navigate to the Action Hub settings page in the Looker admin console
- Step 3: Create a new Action Hub by selecting Add Action Hub at the bottom of the page
- Step 4: Input the Heap-provided action URL and click Add Action Hub
- Step 5: When it prompts you for the Authorization Token, enter the token provided by Heap
That’s it! To use the integration, see the next section.
Step 1: Build a look with a join key column and property columns. Heap will use the values in this column to match users and accounts in Heap. This should match the account ID or user ID depending on whether you’re importing account or user properties.
Set up the elements of the look as follows:
- Join key: check in Heap (bottom of the page here) if you’re unsure what ID to use as your join key.
- The property name in Heap will match the Looker column name. If you want to rename the columns, you can use custom dimensions.
- There will be one Heap property for each column in the report or Look. Remove columns that you don’t want to sync into Heap.
Step 2: Select send or schedule to initiate the sync.
In the pop-up that appears, select the following options:
- Select Heap under “Where should this data go?”.
- Input your Heap Environment ID where you want to import this data
- Select Account or User under “Property Type” based on whether you’re sending account properties or user properties.
- Input the Looker column name corresponding to the Heap join key (input the full column name as shown in the “Data Results” tab — see example below).
- Set a sync schedule under the “Deliver this schedule” section based on your reporting needs. Every delivery will send all rows into Heap, and Heap will override existing values in synced properties.
- If your result set is larger than what’s displayed in the table (default: 500 rows) and you want to send the full set, set the limit (under “advanced options”) to “All Results”
Example – Looker column name
If you configure the send incorrectly, you’ll receive an email from Looker, so be on the lookout for that!
Step 4: Navigate to Definitions > Properties to see your new Looker properties in Heap. They’ll show up within a few minutes after the send is set.