You can use the paths tool in Heap to see what users did before completing a specific event, which can lead to insights on how to improve this flow.
To see this in Heap, complete the following steps:
1. Navigate to Analyze > Paths
2. Filter down what type of user activity you’d like to see by choosing between Raw Pageviews Only, Raw Pageviews & Defined Events, and Defined Events Only.
On mobile, screenview events will appear as pageviews.
In an eCommerce example, you may want to see what shoppers are doing before they click the checkout button. We’ll select Raw Pageviews & Defined Events to have as broad a scope as possible for our user activity.
3. On the very next drop-down, select Into. This is what enables you to see what users are doing before your goal event.
4. Select your goal event, which for our example, is CIick – Check Out Button. Your Path analysis should be set up like this:
You can apply filters if you’d like to see only results for a specific selection of users, or group pageviews by a property. As an example, you may have long site URLs and only want to see a certain section of the URL. You can set up a defined property to capture this information only, then use it in this query to make the results cleaner.
5. Last but not least, click View results. Hover over and click on any of the paths to drill down for more details about the path.
For more information and best practices on using the Paths chart type, see our Paths overview guide.