Suggested reports allow you to easily discover and answer common business questions that you can answer with Heap, such as:
- How does my experiment affect conversion rate?
- Does a given action drive higher retention?
- What are my daily, weekly, or monthly user counts?
You can also use suggested reports to:
- Combine Heap and supported 3rd party source data in your analysis
- Discover questions you can answer via 3rd party sources to connect them to Heap
- Create relevant events, segments, properties, and reports to use in your own queries
For a visual walkthrough of suggested reports, watch this video.
The location of suggested reports has changed since this video was made. They can now be found under Reports > Suggested.
Running Suggested Reports
There are two ways to see suggested reports in Heap:
1. Navigate to the Reports page and click on the Suggested tab.
2. From any analysis module page, click the suggested reports icon at the top. A pane listing out all of the available suggested reports will appear on the right.
You can search for reports based on your question, or use the goal, industry, and source drop-downs to filter for reports that are relevant to your business goals.
After you click on the report, you’ll be prompted to provide additional information needed to run it. You may need to define a new event, segment, or property as part of this process. Some fields may also be automatically populated if you already have an existing matching event, segment, or property.
In our example, the Monthly Active Users segment is automatically populated because we have a matching segment in our dataset.
For some questions, you will be given the choice to use the default definition or choose a different one. If you haven’t yet created a default definition that matches this definition, you can do so from here by clicking the text Use the default. In the pop-up that appears, click Create & Use to automatically create and add this segment to your report.
Once you’ve completed the fields, click Analyze. You will then be redirected to the report results.
Feel free to modify the query to learn more: for example, you may wish to group by marketing channel, or filter by device type. After making any changes to the query, click Run Query to see updated results.
3rd Party Sources
We support the following 3rd party sources with suggested reports: